First Flight is the title of this iron sculpture on the front lawn of Livermore’s Municipal Airport.
This solar array behind the Livermore Civic Center Library is part of Livermore’s commitment to energy conservation. It was completed in September of 2013.
This airworthy piece of art is in front of the Livermore Airport terminal building. The plaque inscription reads:
Eight miles southwest of this location, in the Spring of 1904, Charles Tolliver built an airship.
With an aluminum superstructure covered with 6,000 yards of pongee silk, the craft was to be 250 feet long, 40 feet wide and 44 feet high. Four gasoline powered engines and six propellers – two on each side, one front, one rear. There was no need for rudders with this type of construction.
Mrs. Phoebe Hearst was the main financial backer, contributing 72,000 dollars to the project.
First flight was to be late February 1907. There were several ground accidents and the craft never flew.
Dedicated September 26, 1981
Joaquin Murrieta Chapter No.13
E Clampus Vitus
Racers from the Amgen Tour of California made their way through Livermore Tuesday afternoon during stage 3 of the race. Their journey started and ended in San Jose with Livermore the northernmost point in their 108 mile race.
They came up on Highway 84 from Sunol, headed east on Concannon, turned right for a quick sprint on S. Livermore Avenue, continued on Tesla and finally turning right on Mines Road to head back to San Jose.
The 18 photos below were taken on the corner of S. Livermore Avenue and Tesla Road.