This airworthy piece of art is in front of the Livermore Airport terminal building. The plaque inscription reads:
Eight miles southwest of this location, in the Spring of 1904, Charles Tolliver built an airship.
With an aluminum superstructure covered with 6,000 yards of pongee silk, the craft was to be 250 feet long, 40 feet wide and 44 feet high. Four gasoline powered engines and six propellers – two on each side, one front, one rear. There was no need for rudders with this type of construction.
Mrs. Phoebe Hearst was the main financial backer, contributing 72,000 dollars to the project.
First flight was to be late February 1907. There were several ground accidents and the craft never flew.
Dedicated September 26, 1981
Joaquin Murrieta Chapter No.13
E Clampus Vitus